Queen of Nothing Review

                                           

                                                     "By you, I am forever undone"

     I should preface this entire review saying one thing; due to twitter, I had one out of context spoiler. Due to this spoiler and wording of certain sentences in book 2, I was able to guess most- if not all -of the plot.
   Overall, the book was good. The plot was enjoyable- yet slightly predictable -and it was an easy read. This review will be non-spoiler for book 3, however. If you haven't read books 1 and 2; The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King, I would not suggest reading this review if you plan on reading them. As this does, have spoilers.
   The wording in the second book that allowed me to guess most of this book was the wording of Jude's banishment from Elfhame. One of my friends and I actually argued over this. She thought that Carda had to unban her, but the wording was to be unbanned by the crown. Jude's literally the queen. Why can't she just unban herself? Turns out, she was meant to but didn't.


      "I spent so much of my life guarding my heart. I guarded it so well that I could behave as though I didn't have on at all" 


                                                       Character Development


    I felt most of the characters throughout this had very little development, specifically in this book. Books 1 and 2 were big character development books. This one disappointed me on a few levels.

Jude Duarte - For Jude's character development, there was little to none. One could argue her realizing that she loves Cardan is her character development, but we already knew she loved him. She just hadn't admitted it. So I don't realize that by itself to be her character development. Several points in the book I was disappointed by her, it seemed to be as if somehow she got a lot less smart in the ways of how the fae word their prophecies and sentences in general.

Cardan Greenbriar - Cardan had a little bit more character development, but it was less shown and more; oh, he kinda sorta grew up while you were in the human world, Jude. So it felt more or less bittersweet.

Other Characters - As for other characters within the book, there was still very little development. They didn't much change over the course of the book. Other than maybe Madoc. Madoc definitely changed over the course of the book.


    “We have lived in our armor for so long, you and I. And now I am not sure if either of us knows how to remove it.”


                                                      Ending to the Series


    Finding a good ending to a series can be a difficult thing. You need to close all questions proposed within the series, that book and still manage to entertain the reader with a nice plot that furthers the story instead of only answering questions.
    I do think, that this book is a good ending to this book series. It answers all of the questions, provides a nice resolution to the series, offering closure on the character relationships. The only thing I would have asked for more information on is, Madoc's *stuff*. Like, how's he fairing? Is he organizing what Jude's sisters have predicted he would organize? I need a short story with this information.

                                                   

    “But for one final night, he’s the father I remember best, the one in whose shadow I have—for better or worse—become what I am.”


                                                                      Plot


    The plot was something that, although I was able to predict most of the twists- due to one out of context spoiler and wording of prophecies and just knowing how the book series has gone thus far. Nothing shocked me too much, but that doesn't make it bad. The fact that from a two-word spoiler, and having the basic knowledge things are worded specifically to be somewhat vaguely.

    “Tell me what I must slay, what I must steal, tell me the riddle I must solve or the hag I must trick. Only tell me the way, and I will do it, no matter the danger, no matter the hardship, no matter the cost."


                                                                 Overall


     Overall, I did enjoy this book. I would say the series is worth a read. I enjoyed the series, I really did. But the book just didn't quite hold up to a 5-star book for me, nor a 5-star book series. I would put the series at a 3.8/5 star overall. This book more of a 4/5 star.

Comments

Popular Posts